Saturday, February 8, 2014

How did I get here?



I was on the train today, crossing the Thames, and I just started to smile. A proper, beaming smile. But wind back a bit. An awful lot has changed since I last blogged, back exactly two months ago (so much for trying to be a regular blogger!).

When I was younger, I had lots of dream jobs. I wanted to be a farmer who also owned a windmill, a fireman, a spy, and a mole. And I mean the little blind creature, don't ask... Then I decided I was going to be an IT consultant. But through GCSE, A-Level and Uni I never really knew what I wanted to do, which makes looking for jobs really difficult.

Then I came across the work of the Joint Public Issues Team (JPIT), a group working on behalf of the Methodist, Baptist and United Reformed Churches, doing research and advocacy work on all kinds of issues; from poverty and housing to the arms trade and international rights. They are amazing people, and I thought how cool it would be to work for them.

I've also never felt particularly tied to a certain place. I've never got homesick as far as I can remember. Yes, my home town will always have a place in my heart, but if you know it, then it's not really that great. I settle very quickly. I don't mind moving on. Saying goodbye can be hard, and packing is one of the worst things in the world, but I don't seem to let my roots dig in too deep. But I have always thought it would be cool to live in London. A busy city full of culture and famous landmarks, but also of hidden secrets and lots of exploring. Weirdly familiar yet with so much to discover.

Then, in December, I saw an advert for a six month internship, in London, with JPIT. The closest I had to a dream job, in the closest I had to my dream city. The long and the short of it is that I got the job, and a good friend offered me his spare room, so I didn't have to worry about finding anywhere to live. It really feels like God has let everything slot into place, brought me where I need to be for now.

And so, today, as the train rumbled over the river, it struck me again how great God is, how lucky I am, and how exciting the next six months are going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment